Did He Just Say That? “Obama Will Cause the Abortion Rate to Drop”
Download Audio MP3 | Duration: 00:30:10
It’s time for another Did He Just Say That? episode! This time we respond to the pro-lifers who voted for Obama, not because they felt like other issues were more important than abortion, but those who did so thinking abortions would be reduced more by Obama’s policies than McCain. Josh brings the research to counter their arguments, and links are below so that you can do the same!
For further study…
- Pro-Life Pro-Obama website
- “Obama endorses alternative social and cultural support for expectant mothers.”
- He favors stripping federal funding from pro-life crisis pregnancy centers that provide counseling and financial support for thousands of women. (Source: RH Reality Check’s Questionaire that Obama’s campaign responded to.)
- “More lives will be saved under Obama’s policies than under McCain’s.”
- President Obama will likely sign into law a bill he co-sponsored as senator that would sanction the mass production by cloning of embryonic human beings for research and effectively require their subsequent destruction. This bill alone – which McCain opposed – will multiply the killing of tiny human beings on an industrial scale. (Source: Library of Congress)
- ‘Empirical study confirms abortion reduction through the Obama cultural and economic assistance course of action.” “Generous social welfare programs ‘have significant impact in the reduction of abortion.’”
- As political scientist Michael J. New has demonstrated, such programs have been shown to have next to no effect at all. (Source: Public Discource – Michael J. New – “Does Increased Welfare Spending or Pro-Life Legislation Reduce Abortion?”)
- Indeed, NARAL Pro-Choice America has lamented that just the denial of public funds for abortion ”forces about half the women who would otherwise have abortions to carry unintended pregnancies to term.” In other words, NARAL estimates that Obama’s policy of public funding could double abortion rates. (Source: NARAL PDF – “Discriminatory Restrictions on Abortion Funding Threaten Women’s Health.”)
- “There is much dispute over FOCA’s intended effect.”
- Not really.
- Planned Parenthood on FOCA and how it would overturn hundreds of pro-life laws. (Source: Planned Parenthood’s website)
- NARAL Pro-Choice America on FOCA and how it would overturn hundreds of pro-life laws. (Source: NARAL PDF – “Freedom of Choice Act”)
- Here’s the text of the Freedom of Choice Act: House version. Senate version.
- The Facts
- Obama opposes the Hyde Amendment, which restricts taxpayer funding of abortions in the U.S. (Source: RH Reality Check’s Questionaire that Obama’s campaign responded to.)
- Obama just overturned the Mexico City policy, which bars the use of federal taxes for abortions overseas. (Source: ABC News)
- Obama promised that his first act as president would be to sign the “Freedom of Choice Act.” (Source: Planned Parenthood website. Watch the entire video there. Here’s an excerpt of the video coverage that includes that quote.)
- Obama opposed the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold a ban on partial-birth abortion. (Source: National Right to Life website – “GONZALES v. CARHART – A Litmus Test for Democratic Presidential Candidates”)
- Obama has promised to appoint only pro-Roe justices to the Supreme Court. (Source: Glamour Magazine – “Barack Obama: “I want us to have a country where my daughters have the exact same life chances as somebody else’s sons do.”)
- Obama has called abortion a constitutional right “essential to women’s equality.” (Source: BarackObama.com – “Obama Statement on 35th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade Decision”)
- As a state senator, he even opposed legislation (which the U.S. Senate passed in identical form by a 98-0 vote) to protect children who are born alive after failed abortions. (Source: FactCheck.org – Obama and ‘Infanticide’)
- Pro-Life 101: Is Abortion Really a Women’s Rights Issue?
- Link of the Week: DaytonBlackAmericansForLife.org
Can’t get enough?