Archive for the ‘Bonus Content’ Category
Download Audio MP3 | 00:18:48
We weren’t able to cover everything I wanted to during the Life Report episode, but Dr. Poupard was gracious enough to spend some more time answering questions about this important topic.
- How do birth control pllls and Plan B work, why do some people think that they are abortifacients and why do you think that they may not be?
- Comment on article from Catholic Bioethics…Quarterly that cites studies indicating that Plan B is not an abortifacient and argues that the labels on Plan B may not mean anything. Is there a medical bias issue at play?
- Question #1 from Dan: What about the studies cited in Randy Alcorn’s book that breakthrough pregnancies while on oral contraceptives are more likely to be ectopic?
- Question #2 from Dan: What is the state of the research on Progesterone-only pills like the mini pill and copper/hormonal IUD’s?
Download Audio MP3 | 00:18:38
After wrapping up four Life Report episodes, Josh, Tim and Gabi hung out to cover some material they didn’t have time to get into earlier in the day. Those topics and questions for Tim include:
- You said, “Love does not insist on its own way; it does not need to have the last word in a debate.” Does that conflict with the Stand to Reason mantra of trying to leave people with a pebble in their shoe?
- A discussion of pro-life memes and why most of them are bad.
- You said, “Love is not resentful, it does not dwell on the failures of those around us. Love does not rejoice at wrongdoing. It is not excited when those around us are caught in sin.” What about pro-life groups like Live Action that do undercover investigative videos catching Planned Parenthood doing bad things?
- Can you talk about how we are to love practically with those in the pro-life movement who may disagree on our political method, for example on our use of graphic images? How would you apply your piece to that?
- Which line in the 1 Cor 13 piece do you feel is the most important, or the most contrasted by the way a lot of pro-life people actually act?
Download Audio MP3 | 00:24:42
Last February we published two episodes with our favorite (nearly graduated) student from Notre Dame Law John Gerardi with an update on the HHS mandate lawsuits as well as answering the controversial question, “why did so many church-going Catholics vote for President Obama, again?!” After we recorded those two episodes, we spent another 20 minutes answering questions we hadn’t talked about yet, and answered a good questions sent from a listener. This is the audio from that post-episode discussion.
- “Tell me about states like Massachusetts, that are heavily Catholic and Irish but are totally in the tank for Obama.”
- “What do you think is the future for the bishops’ involvement in politics?”
- Karen: “Is it even possible that we really change our society legislatively, or do we need to concentrate on the hearts of women and men?”
It was literally the day after we published our interview with Notre Dame Law Student John Gerardi on this subject that the HHS announced new proposed guidelines on the subject. I quickly noticed that the Becket Fund, whom we were sending people to for information about the lawsuits, declared that the new guidelines wouldn’t solve the problem. Click here for the statement from The Becket Fund, and you can see a summary of the issues in the below video from The Chuck Colson Center.