Archive for the ‘Listener Mail’ Category
Download Audio MP3 | 00:12:06
Valerie from Silver Lake, Kansas emailed Life Report to ask for advice on a discouraging debate she had with her pro-choice, Christian father about abortion. Josh begins a three-part video series responding to different aspects of her email, and some of her dad’s pro-choice arguments.
In part one, Josh discusses…
- the most important question when somebody states that the unborn is “not a human being;”
- how to effectively “narrate the debate” when people don’t answer our reasonable questions;
- a few quick thoughts on Valerie’s dad’s assertion that the functional DNA of an early embryo is different from the DNA at later stages.
- A Wikipedia summary of Christopher Hitchen’s views on abortion.
- Here’s a few videos of Hitchen’s at debates answering questions about abortion.
- Josh referred to this episode where Trent Horn responds to the pro-choice argument that an organism must be able to direct its own growth, but an embryo requires the mother’s RNA to do this.
- Since Valerie’s dad is a Christian, we would recommend she reviews this episode with special guest Scott Klusendorf: “Does the Bible’s Silence Justify Abortion?”
Download Audio MP3 | 00:13:29
Josh responds to an email from Ashlen who was debating abortion with somebody who responded that parents should have the right to kill their children until they are 18 years old! She wants to know what she should have said.
Josh’s response includes comments on what to do when you get stumped or run out of steam and the proper introduction of humor into a dialogue.
- Click here for our other resources on “Unusual Pro-Choice Arguments”
- JOSH BRAHM LIVE: What to Say When They “Bite the Infanticide Bullet”
Download Audio MP3 | 00:10:30
Josh responds to a listener email that makes some strong claims about Margaret Sanger. Josh has a different take on Sanger’s views and explains why.
- We covered this topic with Jay Watts from Life Training Institute this year on Life Report: “Is Planned Parenthood Racist?”
- Josh covered this topic in greater detail during his speech “Planned Parenthood Unveiled.”
- Read Angela Franks book on the topic: “Margaret Sanger’s Eugenic Legacy: The Control of Female Fertility.”
- Bob Perry at Life Training Institute has a great piece on Sanger’s consequentalist views and how pro-lifers sometimes make arguments that make the same philosophical mistake.
Download Audio MP3 | 00:09:42
Josh responds to an email from someone who isn’t finding lots of success using economic arguments for the pro-life position. Her pro-choice friend’s response is to reference “Freakonomics” and add that if the country needs more people, we should just open up the borders.
- Listen to more of Josh’s views on economic arguments for and against abortion towards the beginning of his speech, “9 Faulty Pro-Life Arguments and Tactics.”
Download Audio MP3 | 00:15:25
Josh responds to an email from someone who seems frustrated that Josh mis-characterized pro-life people as being uninformed about fetal development. Other topics include late-term abortions, Down Syndrome abortions, post-fertilization age vs. LMP, and the use of the term “pro-aborts.”
- Life Report episode: How Much do Pro-Lifers Need to Know About Embryology?
- Josh article referencing ”To Be Born” film: Pro-Lifers Need to Be Factually Accurate About Fetal Development.
- Josh’s exchange with a pro-life person about “lame arguments.”
- Josh said that we don’t know how many babies with Down Syndrome are aborted. That’s because of this helpful blog post by Steve Wagner who actually looked at the studies before forming a conclusion.
- Josh said that an abortionist had admitted to doing a lot of elective late-term abortions. That was Dr. Haskell who is credited with creating the “partial-birth abortion” procedure. In a 1993 interview, he said, “And I’ll be quite frank: most of my abortions are elective in that 20-24 week range… In my particular case, probably 20% are for genetic reasons. And the other 80% are purely elective….” Source.
- Josh’s article on the terms “pro-choice,” “pro-abortion,” and “pro-life.”
- More on this towards the end of Josh’s speech, “9 Faulty Pro-Life Arguments and Tactics”